Thursday, March 08, 2007

IT MAKES THE WORLD GO 'ROUND

Do you ever look at people and know, just KNOW, that they live a generic existence? Like they get their haircuts at SuperCuts, homemade mani’s and pedi’s, Kmart/Sears wardrobe, all-you-can-eat buffets for “special” occasions. They watch the UPN and talk about the plotlines to Wicked Wicked Games, they’ve never heard of Showtime or any TV shows on the pay channels, they have a dial up internet connection; their cell phones are like 5 years old.

I was on the train the other day and I saw a group of people like this (read: Midwesterners) and I just felt pity for them. But then I realized that they were happy and shit. So I started thinking, maybe money DOESN’T buy happiness??? But then I woke up. The bottom line is that if you have no money, what can you do? You can’t go out and that means the chances of you meeting a potential mate go waaaaaaaaay down. And not just a mate, but no friends either! You think anyone wants to be friends with a person who can never go out! You can’t eat out, you can’t travel, you can’t have kids (one man’s poison, right?!), you can’t go to concerts or museums or galleries. All the things that people profess to make them happy! What’s left that’s free? Watching a sunset? Walking around the city? Finding a nice subway grate to sleep on?!

I am aware that there is a difference between being rich and being middle class and being poor, and we can adjust our lifestyles to each level, however you need SOME money to survive and maintain dignity. To all you warm and fuzzy, “life is wonderful”, feel/do-gooders: NOTHING IS FREE. There is always a price. And frankly I’m prepared to pay it. I’m impatient, so I like knowing that if I pay a little more, I’ll get it faster. I don’t like to drink Coors lite, I like something that’s been fermented from a grape, comes from France and preferably with bubbles. I like knowing that I make enough money that I can go to Vegas for the weekend or treat myself to a fancy dinner. Granted I don’t do this all the time but I can do it sometimes and it’s because I have MONEY that I am given the freedom to do this. And isn’t freedom, happiness??

I was telling a friend of mine the story about the people on the train and she called me “cruel” but I prefer “elitist”.

p.s. before you go getting your panties in a bunch, understand that I make my OWN money, I don't live off a man, my parent's, a trust fund or anything else. So fuck you, if you don't like this.

No comments: